Born a Crime: The Hilarious and Heartbreaking Life of Trevor Noah


"Born a Crime" is a memoir written by South African comedian and television host Trevor Noah. The book tells the story of Noah's childhood growing up in apartheid South Africa, where his existence as the son of a white father and a black mother was considered a crime. The book's title is derived from this fact, as Noah's very existence was a violation of South African law at the time.

ABOUT AUTHOR:

Trevor Noah is a South African comedian, writer, producer, political commentator, and television host. He was born on February 20, 1984, in Johannesburg, South Africa. Noah's mother is of Xhosa ethnicity, and his father is of Swiss-German descent, which made his birth illegal under apartheid laws.

SUMMARY: (AS IF TREVOR NOAH WROTE IT)

"Born a Crime" is a memoir that recounts my experiences growing up in apartheid South Africa. The book is structured around a series of personal anecdotes that illustrate the challenges I faced as the child of a white father and a black mother, which was considered a crime under apartheid law.

The book starts with a brief history of apartheid and its impact on South African society. I then share stories from my childhood, including the complexities of navigating racial identity, my mother's religious beliefs and strict parenting style, and my education under the apartheid regime.

One of the recurring themes in the book is the power of language. Growing up speaking several languages, including English, Afrikaans, and Zulu, allowed me to navigate the different worlds I inhabited. I explore how language was used to reinforce apartheid policies and how it could also be used to subvert them.

The book also explores themes of domestic violence, poverty, and crime. I share stories of my mother's abusive relationship with my stepfather and how it impacted our family. I also talk about my experience with crime, including being shot at and arrested, and how these experiences shaped my perspective on life.

Despite the challenges, the book also highlights the resilience, humor, and resourcefulness that allowed me to overcome the obstacles I faced. I share stories of the friendships and relationships that sustained me, including my relationship with my mother, who remained a constant source of strength and inspiration throughout my life.

Ultimately, "Born a Crime" is a memoir about my journey of self-discovery and the role that race, language, and culture played in shaping my identity. It is also a reflection on the power of storytelling and the ways in which we can use our experiences to connect with others and make sense of the world around us.

EVALUATION:

The book has been widely praised for its humor, honesty, and insight into South African history and culture. Many critics have noted the book's unique perspective on apartheid, as it explores the impact of the system on everyday life and personal relationships, rather than focusing solely on its political or economic effects.

The book's structure, which is organized around a series of personal anecdotes, has also been praised for its engaging and accessible style. The stories range from humorous to heartbreaking, and they provide a compelling and nuanced portrait of life under apartheid.

Critics have also praised the book's exploration of themes such as race, identity, and language, which are woven throughout the book and provide a deeper understanding of the author's experiences. The book's examination of the power of language, in particular, has been lauded as a key insight into the ways in which language can shape our perceptions and experiences of the world.

Overall, "Born a Crime" has been widely regarded as a powerful and moving memoir that offers a unique perspective on one of the most defining periods of modern South African history. The book has been a commercial and critical success, receiving numerous awards and accolades, including being named a New York Times bestseller.

 DOWNLOAD THE BOOK BY CLICKING HERE! 

Share:

0 comments